Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Virtual Inspiration

This aspect of my blog is part of an assignment for MCM 740, a graduate class at Franklin University.
The following are reflections and collections for MCM 740. What is recorded is done so with the freedom from self-consciousness — the liberty necessary to analyze myself as I grow.
Each page can be evaluated on its own merit and as a journey from relative ignorance and innocence to maturity. Growth often comes with error, loss and confusion. therefore, the destination I hope to reach will include many pitfalls. I trust we can enjoy the ride together.
Logos that attract me
  

The K-Y logo is interesting 
on several levels. Most apparent is the contrast of the simple white font to the light to dark shaded blue background. Though I don't have much personal experience with K-Y products, the appearance is quickly identified.
Secondly, the discreet, virtual absence of any suggestion as to what the product(s) are for, shows a strong brand image. The use of K-Y products and absence of any hint in the logo reminds me of a schoolyard retort: "That's for me to know, and you to find out."
Three Chimneys is a thoroughbred horse breeding farm of high regard. The simple logo is easy to duplicate in any size, easily recognizable and "gauche-free." Similar to K-Y, there is no suggestion to what the business involves, but the reason behind that is described by another well-known and apt phrase: "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it."
 




Touchstone Energy attracted me for what I consider are its incongruities. I often see the logo without accompanying taglines. When that occurs, the tri-colored logo is what I would expect to see with an MR/DD or child-related community house.

I guess I can see why an electric company that relies upon coal-burning power plants would want something that is unintimidating, but this is too vague of a connection.

No comments: